The Messenger is seeking talented, passionate Business Vertical Editors to join our news organization. The ideal candidates will be responsible for originating, assigning, editing, and sometimes writing high-quality, must-read business stories that go beyond commodity news and break new ground with compelling facts and presentation.
- Assign and edit engaging, accurate, informative, and swiftly delivered business news stories.
- Develop high-impact story ideas and work closely with reporters/writers to execute them.
- Monitor business news in general but be completely up-to-date and knowledgeable about the specific area(s) under your purview — be it Wall Street, companies, the economy, energy, real estate, personal finance, etc. – while keeping a sharp focus on the personalities behind the headlines.
- Work closely with the Business & Finance Editor and Deputy Editors to get ahead of the news, creatively expand on existing stories, and maintain a prescient editorial calendar.
- Build a cohesive team that you guide and educate with compassion, fairness, and equality.
- Improve every piece of copy that you touch.
- Collaborate with other departments, such as design and development, to ensure that all content is visually appealing, user-friendly, and optimized for SEO, social media, and different platforms.
- At least a bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, or a subject related to your area of expertise.
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience as a business editor or reporter/writer at a news organization.
- Strong news judgment and the ability to identify stories and trends relevant to The Messenger’s wide-ranging audience.
- Impeccable editing and writing skills.
- A hunger to deliver straight-up, unvarnished news presented clearly, concisely, and honestly.
- The stamina to work in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines.
- The drive to make every story engage readers with smart, fluid writing and attention-getting presentation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of AP style and other editorial guidelines.
- Familiarity with different content management systems and editorial tools.
- Ability to work collaboratively across the platform.
**Salary Range for this position is $100K-$200K (contingent upon experience)**
To apply, go here.